Ph.D., 1967, Cornell University
S. Marc Cohen received his bachelor's degree in philosophy from Brandeis and his doctorate from Cornell. Prior to coming to the University of Washington, he taught at Minnesota, Rutgers, Berkeley, and Indiana. He teaches courses in the history of ancient Greek philosophy, logic, and the philosophy of language. His publications have mainly concerned the metaphysics and epistemology of Plato and Aristotle. He is currently involved in several internet-related projects, including the Archelogos Project (a hypertext analysis of the works of Aristotle) and the entry on Aristotle's Metaphysics for the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
Visit Professor Cohen's Homepage
< back to faculty listings | next listing >
- Readings in Ancient Greek Philosophy, co-edited with P. Curd and C.D.C. Reeve (Hackett: Indianapolis, 1995, second edition 2000, third edition 2005).
- Ammonius on Aristotle's Categories (with G.B. Matthews), translation and notes (Duckworth: London, and Cornell University Press: Ithaca, 1991).
- "Kooky Objects Revisited: Aristotle's Ontology," Metaphilosophy, forthcoming.
- "Substances," chapter in A Companion to Aristotle, ed. by G. Anagnostopoulos (Blackwell: Oxford), forthcoming.
- "Alteration and Persistence: Form and Matter in the Physics and De Generatione et Corruptione," chapter in Oxford Handbook of Aristotle, ed. by C. Shields (Oxford University Press: Oxford), forthcoming.
- "Aristotle's Metaphysics, Book Kappa" (with G.B. Matthews), hypertext analysis with notes and commentary, in Project Archelogos (http://www.archelogos.phil.ed.ac.uk/), forthcoming.
- "Hylomorphism and Functionalism," in Essays on Aristotle's De Anima, ed. by M. Nussbaum and A. Rorty (Oxford University Press, 1992) 57-73.
- "Analyzing Plato's Arguments" (with David Keyt), in Methods of Interpreting Plato and his Dialogues, ed. by J. Klagge and N. Smith (Oxford University Press, 1992) 173-200.
- "The Credibility of Aristotle's Philosophy of Mind," in Aristotle Today, ed. by Mohan Matthen (Edmonton: Academic Printing and Publishing, 1987) 103-125.
- "Aristotle on the Principle of Non-Contradiction," Canadian Journal of Philosophy 16 (1986) 359-370.
- "Aristotle and Individuation," Canadian Journal of Philosophy, suppl. vol. 10 (1984) 41-65.
- "Individual and Essence in Aristotle's Metaphysics," Paideia (1978) 75-85.
- "Essentialism in Aristotle," Review of Metaphysics 30 (1978) 387-405.
- "Plato's Method of Division," in Patterns in Plato's Thought, ed. by J.M.E. Moravcsik (Dordrecht: Reidel, 1973) 181-191.
- "The Logic of the Third Man," Philosophical Review 80 (1971) 448-475. Reprinted with minor alterations in Plato I: Metaphysics and Epistemology (Oxford Readings in Philosophy) ed. by G. Fine (Oxford University Press, 1999) 275-297.
- "Socrates on the Definition of Piety: Euthyphro 10A-11B," Journal of the History of Philosophy 9 (1971) 1-13. Reprinted with minor alterations in The Philosophy of Socrates, ed. by G. Vlastos (Garden City: Doubleday, 1971) 158-176.
- "The One and the Many" (with G.B. Matthews), Review of Metaphysics 21 (1968) 630-655.
- "Wants and Lacks" (with G.B. Matthews), Journal of Philosophy 64 (1967) 455-456.
- Review of Substantial Knowledge: Aristotle's Metaphysics, by C.D.C. Reeve, Philosophical Review 111, (2002) 452-455.
- Review of Practices of Reason: Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, by C.D.C. Reeve, Religious Studies 21 (1995) 135.
- Review of Primary Ousia, by Michael Loux, Philosophical Review 102 (1993) 397-399.
- Review of Substance and Essence in Aristotle, by Charlotte Witt, Philosophical Review 101 (1992) 838-840.
- Review of Parmenides, Plato, and the Semantics of Not-Being, by F. J. Pelletier, Religious Studies.
- Review of Aristotle's First Principles, by T. H. Irwin, Religious Studies 17 (1991) 257.
- Review of Aristotle's Metaphysics: Books Zeta, Eta, Theta, and Iota, by Montgomery Furth, Journal of the History of Philosophy 26 (1988) 312-313.
- Critical review of Divine Substance, by Christopher Stead, Nous 16 (1982) 334-339.
- Review of Socrates, Philosophy in Plato's Early Dialogues, by Gerasimos Santas, Philosophical Review 90 (1981) 153-157.
- Review of The Concept of Pleasure, by David L. Perry, Philosophical Review 78 (1969) 386-390.
- The Stanford Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy: entry on Aristotle's Metaphyics.
- The World Book Encyclopedia: entries on Presocratics, Zeno of Elea, Zeno of Citium, Thales, Averroës, Diogenes, Cynic philosophy, Epictetus, Hedonism, Neoplatonism, Leucippus, Peripatetic philosophy, Plotinus, Pyrrho of Elis, Pythagoras.
continue to staff >